Altcoins are simply alternatives to the world’s largest and most popular cryptocurrency Bitcoin and traditional fiat money.
The first altcoins launched in 2011 and as of January 2023, there are tens of thousands of altcoins available. And presently, Altcoins make up more than 40% of the total cryptocurrency market.
While the early altcoins aimed at improving aspects of Bitcoin such as transaction speeds or energy efficiency, the recent ones serve various purposes depending on the goals of the developers.
As Altcoins hold such an important place in the crypto world, it’s really important that you must know about Altcoins in detail.
Being an established crypto coin development company, we’ll tell you about Altcoins and the different types of Altcoins.
What are Altcoins?
Altcoins are defined as crypto coins other than bitcoin. The term “Altcoin” comprises the words “alt” and “coin,” where alt stands for “alternative,” and coin for “cryptocurrency.”
Altcoins were initially proposed to change the regulations governing Bitcoin and make it more user-friendly.
Generally, Altcoins belong to the blockchains they are specifically designed for. Many are forks (splitting of a blockchain incompatible with the original chain—from Bitcoin and Ethereum ). These forks generally have more than one reason for occurring. Mostly, a group of developers disagree with others and leave to make their own coin.
Different Types of Altcoins
In addition to acting as virtual money, altcoins can be used for other things. Unlike Bitcoin, which aims to be a decentralized form of money, Ethereum is a network of computers that enables users to host smart contracts and run decentralized applications on the blockchain.
However, Altcoins have some special features and advantages over Bitcoin.
Here’s the list of different types of altcoins along with their special features:
A stable coin is a cryptocurrency whose value is rooted in either another currency, the US dollar, or assets. It is a form of e-money to have designs on real-world time currencies. Stablecoin does not change unforeseeably or briskly. Some of the stablecoins serve the behavior of a 1:1 ratio which means they are equal to any US dollar, gold, or precious metal.
To know more about Stablecoins, check out this video:
A meme coin is a term used in the cryptocurrency world to refer to well-known currencies that ardent online traders and supporters back. Memes are sometimes used to represent these currencies in these memes.
Even though meme coins may be entertaining, they are also extremely risky investments and may have little to no intrinsic value.
Utility tokens are tokens made for a special purpose. A utility token is a type of digital asset that is used to finance a network by guaranteeing its buyers access to some of the network’s products.
These tokens can be purchased on the crypto exchanges and held, but in actual are meant to be used in the blockchain network to keep it functioning.
Security tokens are digital assets created on a blockchain that look similar to securities traded on stock exchanges. Some companies provide equity through ownership, dividend payments to investors, or even bonds. Security tokens are typically introduced through Initial Exchange Offerings (IEOs) or Security Token Offerings (STOs).
As their names suggest, mining-based altcoins are created through the process of mining and employ a Proof-of-Work (PoW) algorithm, which allows for the creation of new coins by completing “blocks” of verified transactions that are added to the blockchain. Altcoins like Litecoin, Monero, and Zcash are examples of those that are mine-based.
2023’s Top 10 Altcoins by Market Cap Value
Here are the top 10 Alternative Currencies ranked by market capitalization value (as of January 3, 2023):
- Ethereum (ETH) – $148 billion market cap
- Binance Coin (BNB) – $39 billion market cap
- XRP – $17.3 billion market cap
- Dogecoin (DOGE) – $9.3 billion market cap
- Cardano (ADA) – $8.7 billion market cap
- Polygon (MATIC) – $6.8 billion market cap
- Litecoin (LTC) – $5.4 billion market cap
- Polkadot (DOT) – $5.2 billion market cap
- Tron (TRX) – $5.1 billion market cap
- Solana (SOL) – $4.7 billion market cap
Note – We have not included any stablecoin in the above list of Altcoins.
How to Develop Your Altcoin
Let’s go through the step-by-step process to create your own Altcoin:
Step 1: Identify the Problem That Your Altcoin Will Solve
Before you start developing an altcoin, it is important to have a clear understanding of the problem or opportunity that your altcoin aims to solve. This will help you to focus your efforts and ensure that your altcoin has a clear value proposition.
Some examples of problems that altcoins may aim to solve include:
- High transaction fees – Some altcoins aim to offer a more cost-effective alternative to bitcoin by reducing transaction fees or improving scalability.
- Privacy Concerns – Some altcoins focus on privacy and offer features such as stealth addresses or zero-knowledge proofs to protect users’ anonymity.
- Limited functionality – Some altcoins offer additional features or functionality that are not available in bitcoin, such as smart contracts or decentralized governance.
Step 2: Finalize a Blockchain Platform
Once you have identified the problem or opportunity that your altcoin aims to solve, the next step is to choose a blockchain platform on which to build it. There are several blockchain platforms to choose from, each with its unique features and capabilities.
Some popular blockchain platforms for altcoin development include:
- Ethereum – Ethereum is a decentralized, open-source blockchain platform that supports smart contracts. It is one of the most popular platforms for altcoin development due to its flexibility and wide range of developer tools.
- EOS – EOS is a decentralized, open-source blockchain platform that is designed for high scalability and fast transaction speeds. It is often used for the development of decentralized applications (dApps).
- TRON – TRON is a decentralized, open-source blockchain platform that is focused on entertainment and content creation. It is popular for the development of decentralized applications related to these areas.
Step 3: Design and Implement Your Altcoin
Once you have chosen a blockchain platform, the next step is to design and implement your altcoin. This involves creating the code for your altcoin and building the necessary infrastructure to support it, such as a network of nodes and a system for mining and validating transactions. Some key considerations for this phase of altcoin development include:
- Consensus Algorithm – Your altcoin will need a consensus algorithm to ensure that the network reaches an agreement on the state of the blockchain. Some popular consensus algorithms include proof-of-work (PoW), proof-of-stake (PoS), and delegated proof-of-stake (DPoS).
- Token economics – You will need to design the economic model for your altcoin, including the total supply of tokens, the rate at which they will be released, and any incentives for holding or using the tokens.
- Network security – Ensuring the security of your altcoin’s network is crucial to its success. This may involve implementing measures such as multi-sig transactions or security audits.
Step 4: Launch and Promote Your Altcoin
Once your altcoin is developed and ready for launch, the final step is to promote it to potential users and exchanges. This may involve building a community around your altcoin, reaching out to exchanges to list it, and engaging with potential users through social media and other channels.
Altcoin development is usually a complex process, but it can also be extremely rewarding for those who can successfully create and launch a new cryptocurrency. The development process involves conceptualization, coding, testing, and launch, and can be really time-consuming.
By addressing real problems and offering unique solutions, altcoins have the potential to revolutionize the world of cryptocurrency and make a lasting impact on the global financial landscape.
So, if you want to create your own Altcoin, get in touch with a reliable Altcoin Development Company today!!
I am the CEO and founder of Blocktech Brew, a team of blockchain and Web 3.0 experts who are helping businesses adopt, implement and integrate blockchain solutions to achieve business excellence. Having successfully delivered 1000+ projects to clients across 150+ countries, our team is dedicated to designing and developing smart solutions to scale your business growth. We are focused on harnessing the power of Web 3.0 technologies to offer world-class blockchain, NFT, Metaverse, Defi, and Crypto development services to businesses to help them achieve their goals.